Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hospital stay

I don't read ones this long, but you can...

-->

Subject: Hospital stay
Date: January 11, 2009 11:38:25 AM PST
It is post surgery day 5 today, so I thought I should write a brief note to tell you all what is happening.

I was one of the scariest things in my life being wheeled into that operating room last Tuesday and saying goodbye to Rosie. Than God the surgery to this point seems to have gone well. As you probably know I was fortunate to share a room with an absolute fabulous man of my age who turns out to be a weekend neighbour of Sally and Eric. Over the next few days we shared our pain, out delusions, hallucinations, comments about the food with humour. We both know that that is all passing stuff and we were only concerned with following doctor’s orders and getting back to our homes as soon as possible. One note of reassurance is that the decline in our hospitals is much overstated at least in the areas that I saw. I saw efficiency, professionalism and caring There were a few stupid aides or nurses but you quickly learnt who to trust. Fortunately I was able to be discharged on Day 3 which was the day that they had said I might be able to if all went well. Ken who had surgery a day after me was hoping to leave Saturday or Sunday.

The goal was to get home but then comes the challenge..stairs, beds, toilet seats, bathtubs, seats etc. Well our house looks something approaching an old person’s home. It is sad to come to realization that while we all know we are getting older we don’t feel it and so deny it. When you are wearing a hospital gown open at the back with your butt showing walking with a walker..you know it

The good news is that I am much more mobile and the walker stayed in the hospital. I don’t need any aides to walk but I will be using the walking poles daily on the Ambleside seawall starting tomorrow. 5 mins out 5 mins back increase by 30sec a day. Not exactly kneeknacker training. But I am going to be a good patient and follow doctor’s orders.

Yesterday was my first day at home. While most of it was good I had some very very bad times. I appreciate visitors but not those that appear out of nowhere in disguise, Chinese African Moroccan taking me to Marakkesh Mars and beyond every time I closed my eyes. Now some people may like this but I was freaking out. Thank God for Rosie. Her calm approach as she turned the pages of her way too interesting book ‘Let’s have a cup of tea’. This was right and eventually that they were knocking at the wrong house. I stopped taking the pills that they were offering me and am now down to just a few Tylenol 3 s a day. If Rosie had not been here as I had suggested I would have gone crazy.

Now I am on my own completely as Rosie has gone on a short course. For a couple of hours.

I want to say thanks for all your support. It made a huge huge difference. This has been a life changer for me. I hope more adventures but I am going to cut down on the challenge side of things

Feel lucky that while this was major surgery it should put me back in good health. Many others are not so lucky.

Love XXXX

<--


No comments: